Friday, December 1, 2017

The World's Greatest Comic Book Artist!


Jack Kirby was without question the single most important comic book artist the field has known. To find other talents of such magnitude you have to go to Kirby's own influences -- Hal Foster and possibly Alex Raymond. Certainly Milt Caniff had his own school, but that one has largely disappeared over the decades. Kirby's only rival is Will Eisner of The Spirit fame. But these days it's the dynamics of Kirby's pages and his own approach to comics which tells the tale, even if most artists don't much realize it anymore.


So as I wind down a year here at the Dojo which has looked at the "King of Comics" I want to focus on his earliest and most influential work at Marvel, the early issues of "The World's Greatest Comic Magazine", better known as the Fantastic Four. Look for a focus on the first four years of the team as they developed by leaps and bounds from a ragtag concept to a rich and smoothly crafted comic book.


Also I want to look at Kirby's other famous foursome, the Challengers of the Unknown. As significant as I regard the Fourth World material at DC, it's arguable that Kirby's Challengers books are even more significant, insomuch as they helped shape the character of the later "Fab 4" at Marvel. But this is a book with its own distinctive character and one which featured some of the most beautiful artwork ever produced by Kirby thanks to the inks of Wally Wood.


In the "Favorite Covers" feature this month, it's my all-time favorite Kirby covers. I've spent quite a bit of time looking at Kirby covers this past year, but some of them are special. These are not necessarily the absolute best ones, but  these are my favorites representing the many genres Kirby worked in across the decades. These will be presented in something of a countdown as I move inexorably toward my absolute favorite Jack Kirby cover of all-time. Note that I said "my favorites" as your mileage may vary.


That and some of the usual nonsense which lolls around here this month as we make the trek toward the end of this season and the beginning of a new year.

Rip Off

9 comments:

  1. This preview of your posts is making me look forward to this month, and also sad that The Year of Our King is drawing to a close. Over the last 11 months, you've brought great joy to this guy (and many others) floating in cyberspace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your kind comments are much appreciated. It's been a project for sure.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. What a great way to end the year. The FF is my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have become one of mine. When I was a tyke, I loved the cartoon but the comic book confused me. Now I know it for the great comic it was.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  3. I agree 100% -- Jack was the best with Eisner a close 2nd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Kirby had been able to harness the business acumen of Eisner, he might have taken over the industry. His partnership with Simon was as close to that synthesis of talent and savvy as we ever saw.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  4. Damn, that's a great cover for Adventure #84. Can't believe i didn't run across it back in August, but Kirby produced so much, that it was impossible to even re-read a majority of his work, much less all of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a treat. I've really learned a lot about the Simon and Kirby Golden Age stuff this past year.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  5. What an incredible range throughout his life! He could draw in so many ways. Just a few years ago, I couldn't recognize the 1950s work when you think about his later career (although there are a few stylistic indicators here and there). Thanks once again, Rip!!

    ReplyDelete