Friday, November 3, 2017

Kong - King Of Comics!


This is a bit of a holdover from last month, but there's one monster comic which has always loomed large in my memory, the Gold Key adaptation of King Kong. This epic comic, which adapts the novelization of the movie, the rights to which were at the time clearly owned by Merian C. Cooper, presents the classic tale of a beast and his beauty and stays true to the large sweeps of the plot. The characters look different, and Kong himself appears more clearly apelike as rendered with gusto by the Alberto Giolitti studio, even if he is done in a stunning shade of blue.


I bring it up to point to The Bronze Age of Blogs has presented the comic in its totality. If you've never been able to read this tale, then you'll want to check it out here.  The fact this comic came out on my birthday has always made it extra special to me. And aside from the cartoon was my first encounter with the mighty Kong.


And while I'm on the subject of Kong, let me take a moment to again tout Don Simpson's adaptation for the Monster Comics brand of Fantagraphics. This other version of the novel came out in the early 90's and to my knowledge, like its 1968 cousin has never been collected in a trade. It's way past time these tales were made available to larger audiences.






The series features great covers by Mark Schultz, Ken Steacy, William Stout and the late Dave Stevens. The get a glimpse of Simpson's version check out the cover to Amazing Heroes below.


Rip Off

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the plug, Rip. Everybody should have this book. And those are some mega great covers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need a reprint of this classic. Blue Kong is awesome.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. I've got to agree - those are some terrific covers. They make me want to read the book.
    And now you've got me thinking of King Kong Vs. Godzilla... covers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Treasury Comics podcast covered this story, as it was published at treasury size. This is, as are all of the podcasts at Fire & Water, delightful! http://fireandwaterpodcast.com/show/treasurycast/?pager=3

    ReplyDelete