Friday, August 18, 2017

100 Days Of The King - Day 90


Kirby's last great original series was Captain Victory and the Galactic Rangers. I'll have much more to say about this often overlooked classic next month, but for  your viewing pleasure here is a favorite splash page of the good Captain himself from the debut issue. The great device on his head gives Victory remote control of his spaceship The Tiger. It doesn't make much sense but it looks cool, like so many Kirby concepts.


Here is that image in glorious black and white with bright shiny inking by Mike Royer. I got the latter to sign my copy several years ago, and he seemed quite happy to see a book he says doesn't come his way very often.

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. I would really love to see more. I've been rereading the Eternals and have thought how many people consider this to be the last great Kirby epic. So, I'm really curious about Captain Victory. I've been waiting for Image to finally come out with their Captain Victory reprint for six years, and still nothing. We can only hope, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing a close up look at the series in September. It's the first time I've re-read the series in many years and I learned a lot since I've learned a lot about the Fourth World since. It's always been one of my favorite Kirby outings.

      A reprint is necessary.

      Rip Off

      Delete