Wednesday, June 28, 2017

100 Days Of The King - Day 39


Toward the end of his comics career Jack "King" Kirby created Captain Victory and The Galactic Rangers which was published by one of the earliest independent companies Pacific Comics. I loved the series, which took vintage sci-fi melodrama and bonded onto that a cosmic scale and echoes of then popular flicks like Close Encounters of the Third Kind. It is generally held that Captain Victory is a sequel of unofficial sorts to the grand Fourth World saga. 

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. I've never read this but have always wanted to. I've heard that it was a pale version of his 1970s work at both DC and Marvel, but I want to see for myself. Recently, I've been reading the Eternals and have been struck at just how good it actually is. Again, the general consensus is that Eternals is the weaker cousin of the Fourth World, but I'm not sure I agree; I found it to be a more focused and refined version of these ideas he had been putting through these permutations since Thor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's better than its critics often claim. The fall off in Kirby's artwork is most evident after the first six issues but the story has a wild chaotic nature to it and sets up a group which should be good for many grand stories. Alas it has not been able to be picked up.

      Rip Off

      Delete