Friday, June 2, 2017

100 Days Of The King - Day 13


One of the greatest reveals in all the Fourth World was when the "Golden Guardian" burst forth from the confines of The Project, the vast genetics lab which had birthed him. Reviving the Newsboy Legion was a request of the DC editors when Jack Kirby showed up at the joint and he complied and it's clear that there was no way they could be brought back without their mentor. But Jim Harper was dead and we have this new cloned version of The Guardian, a hero looking for direction and purpose. His helmet would never look this way again as when he finishes this leap in the very next issue a more simple head piece will be evident. I prefer the simpler look and am glad that Kirby had second thoughts about the adornments, or perhaps just forgot them all together.

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I was aware that the Golden Guardian was a golden age character at the time I first read this story but I do remember thinking he was so cool - Jimmy Olsen ( I think that's where I read this) was a great comic at this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know it until they started those great Newsboy Legion stories as back ups when the book went to twenty-five cents, not really. The Guardian has been a favorite of mine for a long time and more so as I've been reading those vintage stories in recent weeks.

      Rip Off

      Delete