Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Papa Popeye?


What exactly is going on the cover of this Danish comic?  Skipper Skraek featured among many other things, the adventures of Popeye and the gang from Thimble Theater. Olive's knitted something which she seems to want to present to Popeye who seems typically oblivious, and the presence of a rabbit, the very symbol of fertility  make me wonder if this cover is announcing the impending birth of a little Sailor Man. Probably not, but it did cross my mind.

Rip Off

3 comments:

  1. Alternately...

    Olive: "I bet that cute little bunny gets chilly at night! That's why I knitted him this bunny warmer to snuggle up in!"

    Popeye: "Arf arf arf! Y'hear that, li'l rabbit? Olive made yiz a rabbit cozy!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that's what's going on. But why would you offer a furry animal a sweater? It makes me head spin!

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. It's a koozie for a spinach can.

    ReplyDelete