Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Tarzan - The Sunday Comics!


I remarked in this earlier post how I wish I would get hold of Hal Foster's rendition of the Tarzan of the Apes from the character's 1930's heyday in the comics. Soon that wish might come true.  Here's a solicitation.

It sounds great save for two things. The price of $125 is very high for one of these collections, more than is asked for from Fantagraphics for its Prince Valiant books, and surprisingly even more than what IDW asks for its very high-end Flash Gordon books.

Secondly, Dark Horse's track record on reprint packages is not as reliable as either of those other companies when it comes to quality. I hope this volume is as exacting as it should be, and for that kind of money it needs to be. 



Rip Off

5 comments:

  1. i would also feel better if IDW was doing this. Dark Horse can be erratic as to quality and scheduling. For instance, they launched into publishing the Manning Tarzans without finishing the Marsh run,which leaves me with an incomplete collection and excludes many of the fine later stories in the run

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. I was following the Turok reprint series, despite some suspect quality, and now it seems that run has petered out just as they were getting to some prime time artwork on the run. I like that this material is getting more exposure, and I'm thankful for what I have, but it's frustrating not to be able to get the whole shebang.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. I was also following Turok and am similarly disappointed. Since Dark horse seems to have the rights to the Dell Archive and trouble sustaining series, maybe they could do one volume editions of the pre-Disney Zorro issues or maybe Prince Valiant

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hermes and Hyperion do this sort of thing better

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not Hermes! Their Phantom Sundays is horrendous.

    ReplyDelete