Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Hold On!


This has to be one of the weirder comic book covers of all time. I can't confirm it, but this 1966 Time for Love cover sure looks like the work of Dick Giordano to me. This decidedly spot-on depiction of the cover to the Herman Hermits album "Hold On!" as part of the design makes this comic book cover a pop-art classic. Combine that with Peter Noone as the romantic "White Knight" and we're all in. For a brief time Herman's Hermits was full-on huge. But then, like all fads, they faded, though never forgotten.


The album was the soundtrack to the rather absurd movie showcasing the band. I've never seen it, but reports are that the flick sets the standard for outlandish. I'm intrigued.



Here's a sample.


Rip Off

4 comments:

  1. I agree. Looks like Giordano (both pencils and inks).
    This particular issue (#53) was a one-shot, continuing from the numbering for "Romantic Secrets".
    It must have sold well, because a few months later "Time for Love" #1 came out, and the series continued for 47 issues!
    BTW, The movie "Hold On" has been on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) a couple of times in the past year. I've never seen it on VHS or DVD/Blu-ray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Herman's Hermits had a lot of great songs "I'm into something Good" "Mrs. Brown, you've got a lovely daughter" "Can't you hear my heartbeat, "For your Love," and of course "I'm Henry the VIII, I am"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit, I have a soft spot in my head for these kinds of pop tunes.

      Rip Off

      Delete