Saturday, September 1, 2012

Doomsday Block!







Just wanted to share some of the prettiest images of these outstanding John Byrne covers I've ever seen. The Doomsday +1 series features great artwork by a breakout comics star, with scripts by Charlton stalwart Joe Gill. To get a glimpse of the comics themselves check out this earlier post and follow the links.

If by some fluke you're unfamiliar with this series, don't take my word for it. Just take the advice from a relative expert on these matters. What might well be the most rollickin' and fun sci-fi comic ever made?


I agree with the Doctor.

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. I know Mr. Byrne is critical of his work, especially the early stuff, but some of those hold up quite nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Byrne's early work has an energy and verve his work lost about ten years ago at least. He's a very competent one, but he's become a hack in the last decade or so, cranking out listless pages of bland storytelling. I admire that he continues to work and I like his work ethic, but something has disappeared from his pages. They don't thrill me half as much as his early stuff which is bristling with enthusiasm.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete