Monday, August 13, 2012

Joe Kubert RIP


I'm a bit shocked. Despite his venerable age, the work that Joe Kubert had continued to produce in recent years had such energy and verve, that I began to think of him as immortal. His hand steady, his eye sure, his vigor intact. He wasn't immortal alas, none of us are. It's a sad day indeed in the comic book world with the passing of this most significant and most influential comic artist.




The Tarzan cover above for the fifth volume of the Overstreet Price Guide is my all-time favorite Kubert illustration.


I slipped this little volume in my briefcase for any downtime I run across today. A shot of classic Kubert is just what the doctor ordered for a possible dreary day.

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. I just bought a bunch of his comics this weekend before I heard about his death. Sgt Rock, Tarzan, Star Spangled, and Unknown Soldier. A huge loss for comic fans and the industry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm lucky to own a bunch of Kubert's stuff. Some of the best is currently available in DC's Showcase volumes. Kubert art looks best in black and white I think, so the Showcase stuff while cheap gives great quality nonetheless.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete