Monday, July 2, 2012

Rio Rides Again!


Sometimes I'm flabbergasted by what I miss. I did not know that Doug Wildey's masterwork western Rio was being collected by IDW, or if I did know it at one time, I had expunged that info from my noggin somehow.

I wrote this a few years ago to express my adoration for Doug Wildey's western hero. But now it seems I get my chance to glimpse the unfinished Rio as I wanted to do then, as it is being included in this fifty buck package.

The timing is ideal as I just managed to grab fifty bucks of credit at my local store and I love to spend that on special items of interest. This certainly qualifies!

I'm downright eager to see this handsome package. It's probably a good thing I didn't know it was arriving. The anticipation would've been hard to take.

Here's the solicitation.

Doug Wildey's Rio: The Complete Saga
Doug Wildey (w & a & c)
Doug Wildey was an acclaimed Comic book and comic strip artist, as well as a noted animator. Very much in the school of Milton Caniff and Alex Toth, Wildey was an artist's artist, a storyteller of the highest order, and worked in many genres—westerns and war stories being some of his most memorable. As an animator he created and designed the groundbreaking Johnny Quest series in 1964, which inspired a generation of cartoonists with it's memorable characters, thrilling, breakneck pace, and innovative designs.In 1987 Wildey began one of his most personal works, the story of an aging cowboy and gunfighter, as well as special agent for the President of the United States, Ulysses S. Grant. Wildey created stories full of human drama and historical accuracy rarely seem before or since in the comic book western. This volume collects the entire Rio saga in one handsome collection, including the final, unfinished and unpublished Rio story.
HC • FC & BW • $49.99 • 272 pages • 8" x 12" • ISBN 978-1-61377-210-2


Rip Off

1 comment:

  1. Awesome...I love these RIO stories! I'll be looking this up

    ReplyDelete