Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Overstreet Assembled!


"Mighty" Joe Jusko does a bang up job with this homage to "Big" John Buscema's classic Avengers cover from issue #58 of the Silver Age run for the upcoming The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide. It's one of Buscema's best covers for the series, showing off his ability to draw the human form in action splendidly.


Here's Jusko's artwork minus the Overstreet Price Guide logos. He gets what Buscema was trying to do, keeping his figures caught in a split second of action.


And here's Buscema's original classic cover artwork. Note this captures Goliath in his brief red and blue costume just before he dropped that role and became Yellowjacket. I've always been partial to that look.




This cover has been used a few times on reprints of the classic stories of the Assemblers.

I didn't get an Overstreet last year, but I clearly need a copy of this fantastic bit of artwork.

Rip Off

3 comments:

  1. Big John Buscema is my favorite comic artist of all time and i would like to see in the future the whole episode of barbarian painted by all mighty Joe Jusko!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big John is my favorite artist too. Others I find fancy with time and again, but Buscema remains the best of the best.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a kid I learned to draw by copying Big John's work. I always get asked to paint over John as I understand his work so well because of that. Anytime I get a chance to it's a total joy. I wish I had the opportunity to ink him way back when.

    ReplyDelete