Sunday, February 19, 2012

Steve Canyon!









I've long thought these Steve Canyon volumes from Checker Publishing were handsome books, but not quite worth the asking price of around twenty bucks per volume. Well yesterday that problem was solved as the wife and I scouted out a new discount joint named Ollie's Bargain Outlet and lo and behold they have quite a few books there among the giant planters and the reduced vacuum cleaners. My eye was immediately drawn to mass volumes of the Steve Canyon reprints. The place had six of the eight and they were only asking three bucks for each. It was not a deal I could pass up.

Especially since I knew already that my new favorite store Half-Price Books had some of these volumes too, and I only hoped it was the ones I was missing. I was in luck and so for a mere thirty bucks total I brought home all eight of these handsome books, over eight years of the earliest Steve Canyon continuity by the great Milt Caniff.

Beautiful!

When I was a lad, it was Caniff's Steve Canyon I found in my local paper and it was a dense comic read among much lighter material. I had a great Sunday paper experience with Prince Valiant, The Lone Ranger, The Phantom, Tim Tyler's Luck, and other great adventure strips. Steve Canyon always seemed to be the most adult of the bunch.

I have no idea when I'll get around to reading all of these, but I might well read the debut storyline today. And I'll be returning to Ollie's soon. I recommend it to all comics fans.

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment