Saturday, July 23, 2011

The First-Rate Avenger!


Let's get this out there immediately -- Captain America - The First Avenger is outstanding!

Chris Evans strikes the right notes as the bold Brooklyn kid who just wants to fight for what is right. Hugo Weaving is properly evil as The Red Skull. The rest of the movie is cast exceedingly well, and the action sequences are top notch!

This is a zesty action movie of the first order. After a first half hour setting up the necessary backstories and introducing the needed elements and folks, once Cap gets transformed the action kicks in and hardly stops. It's a booming success and a brisk two hours. I never winced once nor checked my watch a single time -- proof of a great flick.

And I thought I knew what Cap was about, but not unlike the 90's Phantom movie which showed me the Ghost Who Walk's "superpower" is supreme confidence, this movie shows that Cap's true "superpower" is his relentless will. He wins because he will have it no other way.

The Howling Commandos are delightful and add interesting faces and a lighter tone when needed. We even get brash "Dum Dum" Dugan shouting "Wahoo!" at one point.

This is a must see. And I think I must see it again.

Rip Off

3 comments:

  1. Loved it. A powerful one-two punch from this and Thor. Bring on The Avengers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you see it in 3-D?
    (and yes, I loved it, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No 3-D for me. The standard format delivered beautifully.

    The Avengers snapshot after the credits looks very tasty indeed.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete