Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Kings of Cartoons!


I don't know when I'm going to get around to seeing them all, but I found some deals for cartoons and couldn't resist.

I've been wanting copies of Thundarr the Barbarian since it first aired. VHS never really offered anything approximating a complete run, and for some reason the show never appeared on DVD. Until last year that is when Warner Brothers brought out a limited release, one of those on-demand sort of deals. The collection was pricey, but despite my ardor for this series, one largely designed by Jack "King" Kirby, I didn't bite. Until today when I ordered it and a few other sets to boot.


I also found Defenders of the Earth and The Legend of Prince Valiant complete collections for very small money. I already own the first half of the DotE series but I'll never find the second half for less than the price for the whole. Now I've got an instant present for someone.


I'd been looking at some used Prince Valiant sets, but this is half the price of getting those. Lumping these King Features adaptations in with the Thundarr made the whole shebang feel like better value for money. It adds up over 150 episodes for under 35 cents each.


Add to these a Blackstar set I've had sitting on the shelf for a year at least, and I have enough cartoonage to last me quite some time indeed.

Rip Off

7 comments:

  1. WHAT???
    You didn't order the Filmation Flash Gordon???
    And you one of the biggest Flash Fans I know!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Demon Dogs! Those are all awesome cartoons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Britt, the Flash Gordon has already dropped into the unavailable secondary seller market, at least on Amazon, and was too pricey. I passed up one in a store a few years back, and I'm kicking myself about that now.

    And Mr.Esty you are so very awesomely correct!

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. William Hanna and Joesph Barbera did not
    produce Thundarr. Joe Ruby and Ken Spears
    did. They were writers for Hanna-Barbera
    and created Scooby-Doo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. True enough, but for some reason this is presented as a Hanna-Barbera production. I think H-B might've laid claim to it when the cartoon was rebroadcast some years later. Apparently the bumpers on the cartoon are H-B and not Ruby Spears. I wish they'd use the orignal stuff.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lords of Light! I picked up a Thundarr "collection" a few years ago at a convention in Montreal....might be time to go legit.

    ReplyDelete