Friday, February 4, 2011

Getting Wired!

Dick Ayers & John Severin

Mike Zeck & Bob McLeod

These two covers, especially the Howling Commandos cover, really make much out of the barbed wire mesh that frames the images so to speak. It's an interesting way to compose an image and I'm surprised I haven't come across it more often.

I've been noticing that the Fury comics from this era really had some curious and inventive cover designs by Dick Ayers and John Severin. I wish I'd bought more of them.

Rip Off

3 comments:

  1. How about this one Adventure Comics 359. It's almost another barbed wire cover?

    http://www.comics.org/issue/21160/cover/4/

    And Adventure Comics 358 could have been in your recent crosshairs gallery.

    http://www.comics.org/issue/21091/cover/4/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That barbed wire is neat, but is only a part of the composition. The Fury cover really sizzles with that fragmented frame.

    The crosshair-reflection cover is a fantastic. I'm going to add it to the gallery.

    Thanks.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw this post I remembered there was a Legion cover with barbed wire and speculated in my mind as to the specifics. But then when I looked it up, I knew it wasn't quite there.

    ReplyDelete