Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Devil And Stan Lee!


I was checking out this 1975 comic book over at this link. It's a hoot of a story by Al Hartley adapting and updating the Biblical saga of Adam and Eve from Genesis. It's a curiously compelling narrative and reasonably well-crafted, as most if not all of Hartley's stuff for Spire seems to be.

But a few images really jumped out at me on the following pages when Lucifer inevitably shows up to tempt Eve. Take a look.



The Devil here looked really familiar in an odd way.


Dr. Lucifer Serpent


Stan (The Man?) Lee

Is Hartley, a former Bullpenner, saying something about his old boss? Or do we just have an unfortunate and unintended similarity here?



It reminds me of how Jack Kirby adapted his old partner into his Fourth World stories in the guise of the ultimate con-artist Funky Flashman.


The devil is in the details as they say.

What does Stan think of my speculations?


That's about right I'd reckon.

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. But, Dr Serpent doesn't say "Face Front!" or "Excelsior!"
    So he can't be Stan (the Man) Lee! ;-)

    BTW, in the Funky Flashman tale, his aide, HouseRoy is based on Roy (the Boy) Thomas.
    Lesson for today, boys and girls: DON'T PISS OFF THE KING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read that Mister Miracle story at the time I did not get the joke, but some years later I was barely sophisticated enough to get it. By that time Funky was involved with the Secret Society of Super-Villains.

    Roy has always been rather coy about his take on the King's lampoon, but if anything I think he has more to be miffed about it than Stan.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete