Saturday, November 20, 2010

Bullpen At The Board!

Jack "King" Kirby

"Big" John Buscema

Gene "The Dean" Colan

"Happy" Herb Trimpe

John "Ring-a-Ding" Romita

Here's a heaping helping of Bullpen beauties. Inspired by the Marie Severin post yesterday, I dug up these great images. I love how these self-portraits all show the artist huddled over his drawing board, with the mythic figures from his imagination dancing in the backgrounds. You can pretty specifically tell when these were done by the characters each artist has chosen to mingle around him.

Rip Off

4 comments:

  1. that Herb Trimpe one's real nice, I've not seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's maybe my favorite one. I simply adore the textures that Trimpe gets into his work.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen the Happy Herb one before either and have to agree with the pair of you. It's rather lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting these--they certainly bring back memories! You can also see John Byrne's portrait in a similar post I made (his B&W is also available from his own site), though I never really considered Byrne a part of the "bullpen" per se. Perhaps that term left the company when Kirby did. :)

    ReplyDelete