Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Fab Four-Geries


Fantastic Four #1 features an iconic cover image.


By some reports (and the evidence of my eyes) the cover by Jack Kirby and Dick Ayers owes a lot to the comic that inspired the creation of the FF, Brave and Bold #28 featuring the debut of the Justice League of America.


But the cover by Kirby has become a favorite item for swipers. The first time I remember seeing one was on Fantastic Four #125, the transition comic that marked the arrival of Roy Thomas as scribe on the book teaming him with John Buscema and Joe Sinnott who had been handling the art chores since Kirby's departure a few years before. The swipe was clearly a signal of a new beginning.

Later John Byrne began to swipe (homage) the cover and he did it many many times and usually very well. I enjoy his many unusual spins on the cover.








The cover image has gotten painted a time or two also.




There are many funny takes on the cover to boot.






Here's my personal favorite swipe, for some magazine I'll confess I've never heard of. This one seems actually to re-purpose the original artwork.


Rip Off

3 comments:

  1. Has nothing to do with the covers, but your mention of the inspiration for the FF reminded me of a reaction I had when I read the "DC Showcase Presents: Challengers of the Unknown" Vol. 1....

    I'm sure I'm not the only one who noticed how much the early FF was like the Challengers? Kirby obviously must have had a big influence on the stories for both strips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last cover's fantastic, though I do wonder how many readers of "Organic Gardening" would've got the reference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "John Buscema and Joe Sinnott who had been handling the art chores since Kirby's departure a few years before."

    Actually, John Romita stepped in for several issues before Buscema took over, even doing the cover of Kirby's final issue (102). ;-)

    ReplyDelete