Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Exploring The Cambria Layer!


Cambria Studios is a cartoon house I've little experience with. For whatever reason, my local area never showed Clutch Cargo, Captain Fathom, nor Space Angel, the three cartoons the studio is most famous for these days. The New Three Stooges show did air in my region, but I'd have not connected it to those three former adventure cartoons famous for the work of master draftsman Alex Toth, and even more infamous for the use of real live lips to show conversation. The technique was called "Synchro-Vox" and offers up a most memorable blend of exceedingly limited live action and well crafted but exceedingly static imagery.


But the other day I found the Mill Creek collection Sci-Fi TV which offers a mountain of material but includes a Clutch Cargo cartoon, three Captain Fathom cartoons, and nine Space Angel cartoons. I've sampled one of each at this point and they are experiences. The drawing is superb, and frankly I find the human lips not all that bizarre in reality, though the concept is strictly oddball.


In doing some research I found that both Space Angel and Clutch Cargo had comic appearances in Jack and Jill magazine. Here's a link to the Space Angel story and here's a link to the Clutch Cargo story.

I'll have to watch some more of these gems today perhaps.

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment