Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Masters Of Evil!






One of my all-time favorite comics is The Avengers #6 featuring the debut of the original Masters of Evil. Led by Baron Zemo, a retro-fit Nazi villain for the newly revived Captain America who had debuted in the previous issue of Avengers and was simultaneously in an early issue of Sgt.Fury,


the original Masters were The Melter (who had taken on Iron Man),


The Black Knight (who was a Giant-Man & Wasp baddie),


and The Radioactive Man (who was from Thor's adventures).


These four were lushly illustrated by Jack Kirby and Chic Stone and the story rockets.

I first encountered the tale in published form in Avengers Annual #4 under a great early Sal Buscema cover. But the first time I saw the story was on TV. It was featured in the vintage Marvel Superheroes cartoons, appearing as Cap cartoon. I love especially the Avengers stories that showed up in these cartoons, they had extra flavor as well as lots of heroes and villains.

Rip Off

1 comment:

  1. God, Kirby and Stone were magic to me! Especially on covers...just so bold and powerful and stylish!!

    The only reservation I had was I didn't think Chic inked the Thing as well as Ayers or Sinnott, but otherwise...THAT was classic comic art!!!!

    ReplyDelete