Thursday, September 16, 2010

How Green Is My Hornet?


I got a gander at the trailer for the upcoming Green Hornet movie. Here's a peek.


I have to say I'm sort of bummed. Seth Rogen was an offbeat choice, but not really being all the savvy about him, I held my opinion. I remember Micheal Keaton as Batman, and that was just as offbeat and turned out quite well. But the trailer has deflated me.


Rogen's Hornet looks rather disheveled, with a perpetual five o'clock shadow, rather ill-fitting clothes, and a hat that doesn't look like it really belongs on that dome at all. He certainly doesn't look the part, and sadly the trailer plays up the comedy I think and reminds me (gasp) of Will Ferrell's turn in the misbegotten Land of the Lost.

Rogen looks like the Hornet if he's just come off a several day bender. Sartorial splendor is part of the Hornet shtick, not just defeating evil, but looking snazzy and cool doing it. This doesn't seem to have that aroma.

On the other hand, Jay Chou playing Kato looks pretty keen. So all is not lost. But it really feels like this is a going to have the flavor perhaps of Will Smith's Wild Wild West, another movie that missed its proper tone. I hope not.


I'm missing these guys already.

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I dunno about this...of course GH is one property I know very little about, except in a general sense. All the cool casual talk kind of irritates me, I feel like it's been done to death and is now a zombie that needs to have its head blown off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Green Hornet, but this movie looks like something that will put the concept to sleep for a good number of years. I'm reminded of the misbegotten Lone Ranger movie from so long ago.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete