Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Atlas-Seaboard Returns!


It always seemed inevitable that someone, sometime was going to lift the Atlas-Seaboard characters out of relative obscurity and bring them back onto the comics stands. Why it didn't happen in the 90's when practically every other superhero on the planet got revived is still a bit of a mystery to me. But at long last it has happened.


Here's an article with the details. I cannot say right now whether I'll be following these new Atlas titles, but given my dumb affection for the originals (I started the first ever website dedicated to the company...not the best by any margin, but it was the first. This is the best website.) I might have to give it a taste.

Rip Off

5 comments:

  1. i just read about this over at Deadline, jumped on here to see if you had seen the news.....and yep, Rip, yer on top of it! Being in my mid-40's the Atlas line were some of the first comics i came across....and I, for one, welcome them back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought the Grim Ghost had a lot of potential, back in the days of Ghost Rider, Son Of Satan, Brother Voodoo etc. It should be interesting to see what the new Atlas can do with him. Wouldn't it be great if they could get Ernie Colon to do something for the comic, if only covers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish them well, but I don't know. I'm afraid things will be so different from the Atlas I knew. I would hate it if they lost the idea of Phoenix as Christ figure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty stoked about this. the main thing I'm hoping for is that they release the older stuff in trades. and who DOESN'T want to see a new Planet of the Vampires comic?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fester - I'm curious to see them too, but I dread the artwork a bit. The Grim Ghost looks okay on that cover, so maybe it will be better than I fear.

    Cerebus - I agree on Grim Ghost. He's about my favorite alongside Phoenix, those are the two A-S characters that seemed to have a distinctive flavor.

    David - The Christ stuff is crucial to Phoenix. It must be part of the play.

    Joe - I frankly didn't even think about reprints. That is good news now that you mention it.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete