Thursday, July 1, 2010

Sherlock Holmes's War Of The Worlds!


Manly Wade Wellman's little book Sherlock Holmes's War of the Worlds is a beaut. I first stumbled across this gem written by Wellman and his son Wade Wellman over in installments over ten years or so, in the local library. Loving both the world of Sherlock Holmes and Professor Challenger (who is also in this) and the world of the infamous invasion from Mars, I couldn't wait to see these two universes blended together. The book was wonderful. So wonderful, that I considered in my fevered brain just lifting the book to add it to my collection. But my civic duty prevailed and I returned it to the library for others to enjoy. It disappeared, so I was never able to read it again. That was years ago.


Yesterday I was reading Steven Bissette's Blog and he was talking about many things Martian and among was this book. That kindled my memory and I wondered if a copy could be had for cheap on ebay or elsewhere. A quick search informed me this little jewel had been reprinted just this year as a part of series The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. There it was, the book I'd loved years ago, just a few computer clicks away. But since I was headed up to check out the new comics anyway, I stopped by the local Barnes & Noble and lo and behold I found it, the very book. Callooh! Callay!

I scarfed it up and gleefully brought it home to add its tiny mass to the mountain on the nightstand. But read it I must, and read it I will.

As it turns out the other books in this series seem pretty intriguing as well. I might have to get some more of those. Nothing tickles me as much as the bright logic of Sherlock locked in combat with the shadows of unreason. It's the very core of what makes the character so appealing.


One thing I also learned about this book is that it was evidently inspired by the 1965 movie A Study in Terror which pits the great detective against the notorious Jack the Ripper. The notion of blending milieus, though common enough in the imagination of Phillip Farmer, was not as broadly apparent at this time it seems. The poster for the movie could only have been produced in that narrow span of time when the Batman TV redefined entertainment. Those atrocious sound effects are so contrary to the nature of Holmes that it's difficult to fathom. Although I do find the "Aieee!" sort of funny.

Oh and by the way, for a look at another series which focused on Sherlock and his doings with those pesky Martians, check out this link.

Rip Off

3 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of Manly Wade Wellman. I highly recommend his John The Balladeer stories if you've nver read them.

    And speaking of milieus melding, I also recommend 'Sherlock Holmes Vs. Dracula' and 'Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Holmes' by Loren Estleman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips on those. I'm a big fan of Martin Powells Scarlet in Gaslight, a comic book presentation of Holmes taking on Dracula. But this other "meeting" is of great interest. Thanks.

    I've also seen that Fred Saberhagen has one too, and it's in this same series.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Saberhagen book was a flashback tale from a Dracula series set in the present.
    Saberhagen's handling of Dracula impressed Francis Ford Coppola enough that he hired Fred to do the novelization of Bram Stoker's Dracula!
    And I still have my Warner Books edition of SHWotW! ;-)

    ReplyDelete