Thursday, December 3, 2009

Steranko's History Of Comics!




The ad was there tantalizing me. I hardly ever ordered anything from ads in comics, ever. I didn't have the money and inflicted with a need for instant gratification, the time I'd have to wait (4 to 6 weeks or longer) seemed interminable.

But somehow, somewhere I found and bought Jim Steranko's History Of Comics. This tabloid masterwork in two parts features some of Steranko's most magnetizing artwork. I can't get enough of looking at these two ensemble images of classic characters slithering across the page. They are mesmerizing.

The text is a bit cold, but useful and at a time before the internets full of good raw data about things I hardly ever expected to see in any other way. This ain't the "history of comics" by any stretch, but it is a great look at the early genesis of comics and at the source material on which the pulp goodness is founded.

If you don't have these, you need 'em.

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment