Friday, July 31, 2009

My Favorite Comic Book Cover Right Now #4 -- Conan the Barbarian #1







This comic book rocked my world. The image of Conan in the midst of battle, a beauteous babe at his feet, and winged monsters on the prowl was the very essence of cool. I'd chanced across Conan in the lone REH novel, Conan the Conqueror (thanks local library), but still the comic book adaptation by Roy Thomas and Barry (Not-Yet-Windsor) Smith brought the character completely into my wheelhouse. John Verpoorten inked this classic image, and he's one of those guys who gets little credit these days, a forgotten man. I always liked his rough inking, it brought out the best in many somewhat quiet artists. Dan Adkins would ink the debut issue of Conan and do a typically masterful job, Adkins being another artist who doesn't get enough attention these days.

Here is that cover and several other versions of that iconic image. I own most of these, though the resin statue is a bit out of my league financially. It's rare I want a statue, but this is one I'd love to have.

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment