Friday, July 17, 2009

Conan The Advertisement!


Who do you think is the illustrator of this advertisement for the then new Conan the Barbarian comic book?

This is one of my all-time favorite house ads and was only the third illustration of Conan I'd ever seen at the time, the first being Frazetta's cover to Conan the Conqueror found at my local library and the second possibly, was an ad in a Warren magazine for Conan the Freebooter.

The Conan in this ad looks a lot more like the Lancer Frazetta Conans, older and less handsome than the pert young man Barry (not-yet-Windsor) Smith would draw so magnificently. I like this version a lot.

My guess is Jim Steranko, with maybe a few Marie Severin touch-ups on his face. I also see a hint of Dan Adkins. The truth is I just don't know. What do you all think?

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment